Santiago de Compostela (Galicia) / Spain
Summer Program 2013
I am writing to tell you about a summer program in Spain for undergraduate and graduate students of architecture, design, and landscape architecture. They usually have 20-30 students each summer, from all over the world (15 different countries so far!). You can get a tuition discount if you send in your application by February 15. Please see the basic facts below, and then click on the two web links to find out more.
BASIC FACTS ABOUT COMPOSTELA INSTITUTE:
• 3 week program: July 15 – August 3. It may be possible to attend for just 2 weeks if you are working over the summer.
• Site: Santiago de Compostela, Spain in the region of Galicia, just north of Portugal.
• Open to undergraduate and graduate students
• Studio, lectures, workshops, tours in Spain and Portugal, visits with distinguished architects and historians from all over the world
• Guests and lecturers: Pritzker prize winning Portuguese architect Alvaro Siza, UK architect David Chipperfield, historians and critics William JR Curtis, Juhani Pallasmaa, well-known Spanish architects and historians
• Study in Europe, make professional connections and friendships. Most of our alumni from 2010-2012 remain in touch and visit each other in their respective countries. Some students have received work in Europe after attending the program. It is also great for your professional portfolio.
• Santiago is a vibrant university town with tapas bars and cafes, nightlife, and outdoor concert venues. Tours go to three different cities in Spain and Porto, Portugal, and are included in the tuition.
• Classes are held in an ancient monastery building next to the famous Cathedral, right in the center of town, while student dorms are a 20-minute walk away (with very inexpensive housing).
• The program focus is on a direct experience of architecture: drawing, materials, tectonics, craft, use of natural light, studying both ancient and modern architecture in a historic setting.
Application forms can be downloaded here: www.cainstitute.es
A book about the school: http://issuu.com/tatianaberger/docs/cainstitute/1
Below some pictures of last year’s program: